#246: Workflows with Eddie Smith
March 16th, 2015 · 115 minutes
Eddie Smith drops by to talk about life as an Actuary and the tools he uses to help students prepare for Actuary exams. Including culling through thousands of pages of reference material using DevonThink, creating equation-rich study guides with LaTeX and brining it all together with keynote to create video tutorials. At the end of the show we also sidetrack into a discussion of the new MacBooks and Apple watch.
Thanks to MPU listener Jigar Talati for assistance with the shownotes this week!
This episode of Mac Power Users is sponsored by:
Download: MP3 (53.19 MB)
Links and Show Notes
Links for this episode:
- Practically Efficient
- Eddie Smith (@eddie_smith) | Twitter
- PracticallyEfficient (@practeff) | Twitter
- The Infinite Actuary - Actuarial Exam Preparation
- Markdown — MacSparky
- Actuary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An actuary is a business professional who deals with the financial impact of risk and uncertainty.
- Be an Actuary
- LaTeX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LaTeX is a document preparation system and document markup language.
- LaTeX – A document preparation system
- MacTeX - TeX Users Group
- Skim | Home
Skim is a PDF reader and note-taker for OS X. It is designed to help you read and annotate scientific papers in PDF, but is also great for viewing any PDF file.
- Video: Intro to Working with LaTeX in Sublime Text 2 on Vimeo
- Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with
- TextExpander: Mac Typing Shortcut Utility Saves You Time TextExpander: Mac Typing Shortcut Utility Saves You Time
- TikZ and PGF | TeXample.net
TikZ and PGF are TeX packages for creating graphics programmatically. TikZ is build on top of PGF and allows you to create sophisticated graphics in a rather intuitive and easy manner.
- Rotated triangle | TikZ example
- Bare Bones Software | BBEdit 11
- TextMate — The Missing Editor for Mac OS X
- nvALT - BrettTerpstra.com
- Byword • Simple and efficient text editor for Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- PDFpen: Mac PDF Editor - Edit, Sign, and Correct PDFs
- Apple - Pages for Mac
- Apple - Keynote for Mac
- Screencasting and Video Editing Software | Telestream ScreenFlow | Overview
- Beamer (LaTeX) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Beamer is a LaTeX document class for creating slides for presentations. It supports both pdfLaTeX and LaTeX dvips. The name is taken from the German word Beamer, a pseudo-anglicism for video projector.
- rivanvx / beamer / wiki / Home — Bitbucket
- PDF to Keynote
- HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder
HandBrake is a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.
- Noodlesoft | Simply useful Mac software
- The workspace for your life’s work | Evernote
- DEVONthink — Smart document management for Mac - DEVONtechnologies
- Apple - Apple Watch
- Apple - MacBook