#161: Running a Mac Small Business with Ben Carter
October 28th, 2013 · 102 minutes
David and Katie talk with solo law practitioner Ben Carter about starting a small business based around his Mac and the hardware and software he uses.
Thanks to MPU listener Jigar Talati for assistance with the shownotes this week!
This episode of Mac Power Users is sponsored by:
Download: MP3 (47.1 MB)
Links and Show Notes
Links for this episode:
- Let's Start a Law Firm — Ben Carter Law
- Ben Carter Law
- E-Mail: [email protected]
- A Tribute to Finis Price | The Mac Lawyer
- Finis Price: Attorney, Technological Genius and Our Friend Dies - Kentucky Injury Attorney Blog
- DYMO | LabelWriter Twin Turbo
- PaperPro Prodigy Stapler
- Ruby Receptionists
Your real, live virtual receptionist. Virtual Receptionist & Live Remote Phone Call Answering Service
- Ooma – Ranked # 1 Internet Home Phone Service
- RingCentral Cloud Phone System, Virtual PBX, Toll Free 800 Number
- Documents App by Readdle
- 5 Steps to Secure Your Dropbox Account
Remember everything with Evernote, Skitch and our other great apps.
- HelloFax | Top-Rated Online Fax Service
- Hover - domain name and email management made simple
- Sparrow — Get mail done
- Hazel 3.1 on Vimeo
David's date pattern matching feature is too good to miss.
- Typography for Lawyers
- Butterick’s Practical Typography
- Mac Power Users 128: Typography with Ina Saltz
- OmniFocus - The Omni Group
- Field Notes — “I’m not writing it down to remember it later, I’m writing it down to remember it now.”
- Double-entry bookkeeping system - Wikipedia
- Sage 50 Accounting | Small Business Accounting Software
- Xero Online Accounting Software
Beautiful Accounting Software
- Sandwich Video
- inDinero | Accounting, Taxes, & Payroll Software for Businesses
- FreshBooks - Online Invoicing, Accounting & Billing Software
- MPU 055: Workflows with Adam Lisagor
- Best Case Bankruptcy Software for Attorneys
Virtualization and Automation Solutions for Desktops, Servers, Hosting, SaaS
- Rocket Matter Online Legal Software
Law Practice Management & Legal Billing Software
- Harvest - Simple Online Time Tracking Software
- GeekDesk® Adjustable Height Desks
- State Champs
State Champs is a two-headed creative studio based in Louisville, Kentucky. We specialize in illustration and custom lettering, as well as site specific painting (sign painting, murals, etc.).
- OmniOutliner - The Omni Group
- TextExpander: Mac Typing Shortcut Utility Saves You Time
- Alfred App - Productivity App for Mac OS X
- Spirited Away for Mac - Hides inactive applications.
The quintessential mind mapping experience, MindNode makes it easy to brainstorm and organize your thoughts, so you can focus on your ideas.
- Kentucky Attorneys: Time to Get a Website — Ben Carter Law
- 5by5 | Quit!
Anyone thinking about starting a business should listen to Dan Benjamin's Quit! podcast on the 5by5 network.