#238: 10 Apps and 10 Utilities For Your Mac
February 2nd, 2015 · 86 minutes
David and Katie run down their ten must have Mac Apps and 10 utilities for any Mac Power User
This episode of Mac Power Users is sponsored by:
Our exclusive sponsor for this episode: Smile:
With productivity boosters like the PDFpen Family and TextExpander, Smile makes you a Mac Power User.
Download: MP3 (40.02 MB)
Links and Show Notes
Links for this episode:
- The first 10 apps to install on your brand-new Mac | Macworld
- Lifehacker Pack for Mac: Our List of the Essential Mac Apps
- The best apps for your new Mac | The Verge
- Transporter Your Own Unlimited Private Cloud
- Use symbolic links in a Dropbox folder - Mac OS X Hints
- Noodlesoft | Hazel
- MPU 047: Dropbox Awesomeness | Mac Power Users
- MPU 025: Geeking Out With Hazel | Mac Power Users
In this episode, David and Katie talk about how to keep your Mac clean and organized using Noodlesoft’s Hazel. Hazel watches folders and runs actions based on specific criteria to take action on the folder items. Hazel also keeps your Mac tidy by throwing away left-over bits of deleted programs and helping you to manage your trash.
- MPU 079: Hazel 3.0 | Mac Power Users
Katie and David cover the latest release of one of their favorite Mac utilities, Hazel 3.0, with the basics and some of their favorite Hazel workflows.
- Email Field Guide — MacSparky
- Noodlesoft Forums • Index page
- The 1Password Emergency Kit: Version 3.0 - Productivityist
- MPU 019: 1Password | Mac Power Users
In this episode Katie and David talk about one of their favorite programs, 1Password. This application does more than just auto-fill passwords. The hosts talk about all of the features of version 3 and how they use the application to stay safe and organized.
- Mac Power Users 173: 1Password Revisited | Mac Power Users
Katie and David revisit the password manager 1Password, why it’s important, what it does, how they use it and alternatives.
- TextExpander: Mac Typing Shortcut Utility Saves You Time
- Mac Power Users 203: TextExpander | Mac Power Users
David and Katie dive deep on one of their favorite productivity tools, TextExpander.
- PhraseExpress - TextExpander for Windows
- Text expander for Windows - Breevy
- LaunchBar 6
- Alfred App - Productivity App for Mac OS X
- MPU 007: LaunchBar Blackbelt | Mac Power Users
In this episode we cover popular application launcher, LaunchBar. This episode goes beyond the basics and includes are several power user tips. We recommend you listen to this one in front of a Mac equipped with LaunchBar. Enjoy.
- Mac Power Users 133: Alfred 2 | Mac Power Users
David and Katie take a deep dive into Alfred 2.0, an application launcher and productivity application for Mac.
- Quicksilver — Mac OS X at your Fingertips
- Smile Blog: Sync PDF Documents with PDFpen 7 and iCloud Drive
- Mac App Store vs Buying Direct
- OmniFocus - The Omni Group
- OmniFocus Video Field Guide — MacSparky
- Perspective Icons 2 | Icons & Coffee
- My OmniFocus Perspectives — MacSparky
- Flexibits | Fantastical for Mac | Meet your Mac's new calendar.
- Keyboard Maestro 6.4.8: Work Faster with Macros for Mac OS X
- MPU 064: Keyboard Maestro | Mac Power Users
In this episode Katie and David get geeky with the automation and macro creation program Keyboard Maestro. For this episode, we’re joined special guest and Keyboard Maestro guru, Gabe Weatherhead aka MacDrifter.
- Mac Power Users 145: Keyboard Maestro Turns 6 | Mac Power Users
David and Katie take a look at the new version of Keyboard Maestro and discuss what it does, how you can use it to automate tasks on your Mac, when you should use Keyboard Maestro over other automation tools and choosing the right tool for the right job.
- Update to Mail Send-From Trick — MacSparky
- Automate your Mac: 10 ways to make managing email easier | Macworld
- Byword • Simple and efficient text editor for Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- Literature and Latte - Scrivener Writing Software | Mac OS X | Windows
- MPU 015: Scrivener | Mac Power Users
We got a lot of feedback about episode 5 Word Processing and Writing, apparently people just keep looking for better word processors. So, we decided to do another show on a single application, Scrivener. Scrivener is a word processor and project management tool that allows you to research, organize, outline and create documents. The emphasis is not on fancy features or formatting, it’s on writing and writing well.
- Bartender | Mac Menu Bar Item Control
- Mac App Store - Caffeine
- Cloak VPN - Cloak - Super-simple VPN
- FruitJuice -- battery maintenance app for Apple Mac laptop computers. —
- Deliveries 1.0.1 for Mac ~ Mac OS X ~ Junecloud
- Onyx - Titanium Software
- iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango
- Aptonic - Dropzone 3
- PopClip for Mac