#181: Automation Workflows with TJ Luoma
March 10th, 2014 · 113 minutes
David and Katie sit down with automation guru, minister and geek TJ Luoma. We talk about his love for Keyboard Maestro and how he uses automation to make life easier.
Thanks to MPU listener Hay Oborn for assistance with the shownotes this week!
This episode of Mac Power Users is sponsored by:
Download: MP3 (52.2 MB)
Links and Show Notes
Links for this episode:
- Rhymes With Diploma
The current web home of TJ Luo.ma
- Impolite Company - Mule Radio Syndicate
- Reforming Faith
A PLACE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SEEKING, BUILDING, OR RENEWING THEIR FAITH.
- Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- TJ Luoma on The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- TextExpander: Mac Typing Shortcut Utility Saves You Time
Type more with less effort! TextExpander saves your fingers and your keyboard, expanding custom keyboard shortcuts into frequently-used text and pictures...
- Noodlesoft | Hazel
Hazel watches whatever folders you tell it to, automatically organizing your files according to the rules you create. It features a rule interface similar to that of Apple Mail so you should feel right at home.
- Keyboard Maestro 6.3.2: Work Faster with Macros for Mac OS X
Keyboard Maestro can help improve almost every aspect of using your Mac. Even the simplest things, like typing your email address, or going to Gmail or Facebook, launching Pages, or duplicating a line, all take time and add frustration.
- Default Folder X
Custom keyboard shortcuts put your favorite and recent folders at your fingertips. Pop-up menus let you navigate your folders and open Finder windows.
- A useful Caps Lock key - BrettTerpstra.com
- ATLASerials® (ATLAS®)
- Accordance - Bible Software for Mac, Windows, iPad and iPhone
- Logos Bible Software - Bible Study at its best
- The best MultiMarkdown editor just got better!
The best MultiMarkdown editor just got better!
- Skitch 2.0 is like Skitch 1.0 without all those pesky "features" | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Skitch 2.0 is like Skitch 1.0 without all those pesky "features"
- Bare Bones Software | BBEdit 10
BBEdit is the leading professional HTML and text editor for the Macintosh. Specifically crafted in response to the needs of Web authors and software developers, this award-winning product provides an abundance of high-performance features for editing, searching, and manipulation of text.
- Beamer - The AirPlay Movie Player for Mac
- Keyboard Maestro and the automation mindset | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- Choosy helps those with Browser Commitment Phobia | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- George Starcher » Griffin Powermate – Mic Mute Button
- A better Google search experience with Choosy, Keyboard Maestro and Fluid | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- Replicating QuickCursor using BBEdit and Keyboard Maestro | Breaking Apple News, Tips and Reviews from The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- Using Keyboard Maestro 6 to automate a web database - TUAW
- Ask Different
- Send to Dropbox | Email + Dropbox
- TJ Luoma (tjluoma) on Twitter
- NeXT Computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Dell UltraSharp 29 Ultrawide Monitor - U2913WM
- Bartender | Mac Menu Bar Item Control
Organize your menu bar apps
- Satellite Internet, HughesNet Gen4 High-Speed Satellite Internet Provider
- Little Snitch
A firewall protects your computer against unwanted guests from the Internet. But who protects your private data from being sent out? Little Snitch does
- Radio Silence | Firewall for Mac OS X
- PowerMate - USB Controller | Griffin Technology
You can use PowerMate to edit home movies, or scroll through long documents, or create your next audio masterpiece. How can PowerMate be this cool? Because it's an assignable controller that you can program to do anything you want, in any application.
- Mizage - Shush
- CodeRunner — krillapps
With CodeRunner, it has never been easier to write and test code, run scripts, work with algorithms, or simply experiment with a new coding or scripting language.
- A guided tour of my Hyper key shortcuts - BrettTerpstra.com
- PCKeyboardHack - Software for OS X
- KeyRemap4MacBook - Software for OS X
- Download QuickCursor for Mac - Access your favorite text editor via keyboard shortcuts. MacUpdate.com
creates a better, faster text-editing experience by using global keyboard shortcuts to bring your favorite editor to any app. If you've ever been frustrated by the process of manually copying and pasting between apps, QuickCursor will automate the entire process and save you time
- Byword • Simple and efficient text editor for Mac, iPhone and iPad.
Simple and efficient text editing for Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- TextMate — The Missing Editor for Mac OS X
TextMate brings Apple's approach to operating systems into the world of text editors. By bridging UNIX underpinnings and GUI, TextMate cherry-picks the best of both worlds to the benefit of expert scripters and novice users alike.
- Sublime Text: The text editor you'll fall in love with
Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.You'll love the slick user interface, extraordinary features and amazing performance.
- The Text This Week - Textweek - Sermon, Sermons, Revised Common Lectionary, Scripture Study and Worship Links
- SaneBox - Email Management for Any Inbox
- Fluid - Turn Your Favorite Web Apps into Real Mac Apps.
Web applications like Gmail, Facebook, Campfire and Pandora are becoming more and more like desktop applications every day. Running each of these web apps in a separate tab in your browser can be a real pain.
- Chrome Browser
- Default Folder X
Save your files effortlessly and open your folders instantly. Default Folder X makes Mac OS X's Open and Save dialogs work as quickly as you do.
BusyCal is the ultimate OS X calendar app — packed with powerful time-saving features in a friendly, easy-to-use package.