#175: Workflows with Federico Viticci
February 4th, 2014 · 92 minutes
Katie and David sit down with Federico Viticci of MacStories.net to talk about his amazing iPad workflows, the future of iOS, photo management and more.
Thanks to MPU listener Hay Oborn for assistance with the shownotes this week!
This episode of Mac Power Users is sponsored by:
Our exclusive sponsor for this episode: Smile:
With productivity boosters like the PDFpen Family and TextExpander, Smile makes you a Mac Power User.
Download: MP3 (42.48 MB)
Links and Show Notes
Links for this episode:
- Mac Power Users 156: Editorial with Federico Viticci | Mac Power Users
David and Katie are joined by Federico Viticci of Macstories.net to talk about writing on the iPad and the newest text editor with built in automation functions, Editorial.
- Federico Viticci (viticci) on Twitter
- Federico Viticci (viticci) on App.net
- Federico Viticci - YouTube
- 5by5 | The Prompt
The Prompt is a weekly panel discussion on technology, and the culture surrounding Apple and related companies. With each co-host having a unique background — and accent — The Prompt covers the wide-reaching world of technology unlike any other show.
- iTunes - Books - Writing On The iPad: Text Automation with Editorial by Federico Viticci
An extended edition of an article originally published on MacStories.net, "Writing On The iPad: Text Automation with Editorial" contains an in-depth review and detailed guide to Editorial, a revolutionary Markdown text editor for iPad with unique automation features. After reading this book, you'll have a new perspective on what is possible to accomplish on an iPad with Markdown and text automation."Writing On The iPad: Text Automation with Editorial" demonstrates how Markdown and iOS power users can take their iPad productivity to the next level by crafting automated workflows and scripts to speed up writing, editing, and publishing.
- MacStories (macstoriesnet) on Twitter
- Editorial for iPad
Editorial is a plain text editor for the iPad with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for writing Markdown.
- Editorial on the App Store on iTunes
- Google+ Hangouts
Bring your conversations to life with photos, emoji, and even group video calls for free.
- GroupMe | Group text messaging with GroupMe
- Private group chat and IM, business and team collaboration - HipChat
- Slack: Be less busy
Slack brings all your communication together in one place.It’s real-time messaging, archiving and search for modern teams.
Evernote apps and products make modern life manageable, by letting you easily collect and find everything that matters.
- Evernote on the App Store on iTunes
- Project management software, online collaboration: Basecamp
- Bare Bones Software | Yojimbo
Yojimbo makes keeping all the small (or even large) bits of information that pour in every day organized and accessible. It’s so simple, there is no learning curve. Yojimbo’s mechanism for collecting, storing and finding information is so natural and effortless, it will change your life, without changing the way you work.
- Python Programming Language – Official Website
Python is a programming language that lets you work more quickly and integrate your systems more effectively. You can learn to use Python and see almost immediate gains in productivity and lower maintenance costs.
- Markdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Markdown is a plain text formatting syntax designed so that it can optionally be converted to HTML using a tool by the same name. Markdown is popularly used as format for readme files, or for writing messages in online discussion forums, or in text editors for the quick creation of rich text documents.
Simple and efficient text editing for Mac, iPhone and iPad.
MindNode makes mind mapping easy. Mind maps are a visual representation of your ideas, starting with a central thought and growing from there. This allows you to brainstorm
- OmniOutliner - The Omni Group
OmniOutliner, an amazingly flexible pair of apps for creating, collecting, organizing, and syncing information. Brainstorm new ideas, drill out specifics, or expand upon prior notes. They come with everything you need right now, yet even more later. Use OmniOutliner to draft to-do lists, create agendas, track expenses, take notes, plan events, write screenplays … and whatever else you’ll think of.
Create stunning diagrams, graphs and other designs with the best vector diagramming app for your iOS Device.
- Evernote Web Clipper | Evernote
ave anything you see online—including text, links and images—into your Evernote account with a single click.
- Dolphin's Free Mobile Web Browser
Dolphin makes mobile browsing easy, adapting to the way you want to browse with customizable settings, voice and gesture control, and sharing features.
- Introducing EverClip
With easy-to-use interface and seamless integration,EverClip lets you clip anything to Evernote effortlessly.
- Evernote Bookmarklet for iPad — iOS Bookmarklets
- Marker: Web selections to Markdown - BrettTerpstra.com
This is a variant of my Bullseye bookmarklet which takes a selection – including headlines, links, and images – and converts it to Markdown using Marky.
- PDFPen OCR Applescript To Automatically Make PDFs Searchable • Tips To Learn How To Go Paperless | DocumentSnap Paperless Blog
- PDFpen OCR Folder Action Script — MacSparky
- Noodlesoft | Hazel
Hazel watches whatever folders you tell it to, automatically organizing your files according to the rules you create. It
- iPad at Work — MacSparky
- Cloak VPN - Cloak - GetCloak.com
It's the easiest, most trusted personal VPN service
Plex organizes all of your personal media, wherever you keep it, so you can enjoy it on any device.
- Apple - iTunes - Match
- Pocket Casts by Shifty Jelly
- Instacast for iOS 7 - Vemedio
- Podcasts on the App Store on iTunes
- Castro — High Fidelity Podcasts for iPhone
- Skitch | Evernote
Get your point across with fewer words using annotation, shapes and sketches, so that your ideas become reality faster.
- iOS 7 Tech Talk Videos - Apple Developer
- TextExpander: Mac Typing Shortcut Utility Saves You Time
ype more with less effort! TextExpander saves your fingers and your keyboard, expanding custom keyboard shortcuts into frequently-used text and pictures...
- Unread — An RSS Reader
- Contrast | Launch Center Pro
It’s like speed dial for anything you do with your iPhone or iPod Touch. Create one-tap shortcuts straight to the feature you need inside of your apps.
- Pinswift — the fast and powerful Pinboard client
- Command-C ? Copy & Paste between iOS and Mac
- WordBook XL - English Dictionary and Thesaurus for Apple iPad
GoodReader® is the super-robust PDF reader for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
- Wordflex Touch Dictionary - English visual dictionary and thesaurus created exclusively for iPad in association with Oxford University Press
With more than 2 million language nodes for you to explore, The Wordflex Touch Dictionary is the next step in the evolution of the English dictionary and thesaurus.
- Dispatch: TextExpander-enabled Email App for iPhone
Dispatch makes it easy to act on mails even when you're on the move.Based on Merlin Mann's idea of managing your inbox, it helps you tame your inbox by letting you delete, defer, delegate, generate actions and even respond to your mails with ease.
- Pastebot — Tapbots
Pastebot is a powerful clipboard manager that stores text
- Mr. Reader - RSS News Reader for your iPad
Mr. Reader is a powerful RSS News Reader for your iPad that synchronizes with popular services. Due to the large article preview and image thumbnails, it is easy to read only the articles you are interested in. Manage your subscriptions directly in the app and share articles with multiple services. Please see below for a list of features.
- Reeder RSS Reader for iOS
- This Week app - Reminders Reimagined
Reminders ReimaginedThis Week is the newest to-do list and task managing app for iPhone/iPod Touch with beautiful design and careful thoughts.
- OmniFocus - The Omni Group
OmniFocus is designed to quickly capture your thoughts and ideas to store, manage, and help you process them into actionable to-do items. Perfect for many different systems, OmniFocus helps you work smarter by giving you powerful tools to stay on top of all the things you need to do. From ‘Call mom’ to ‘Submit Annual Report to Investors’.
- Tweetbot for iPhone — Tapbots
Tweetbot 3 is a full-featured Twitter app for the iPhone that has been re-designed from the ground up for iOS7.
- Macworld / iWorld 2014
The Best Place for All Things AppleWhat’s New, What’s Best and How to Make the �Most Out of the Products You Love.