#170: 2014 Tech Resolutions
December 24th, 2013 · 78 minutes
David and Katie discuss some of their tech resolutions for 2014 including better utilizing network attached storage, less "fiddley" writing and more.
Thanks to MPU listener Hay Oborn for assistance with the shownotes this week!
This episode of Mac Power Users is sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors for this episode:
DaisyDisk Manage your Mac’s drive with panache.
Download: MP3 (36.28 MB)
Links and Show Notes
Links for this episode:
- Email Field Guide — MacSparky
- Network-attached storage - Wikipedia
- Drobo - Safe, Expandable Data Storage
- Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Apple – iTunes
One window into all your personal media. No matter where you are.
With ChronoSync, you can synchronize, backup, and create bootable backups.
- Mac Backup Software - Carbon Copy Cloner
- Installing CrashPlan on a Drobo 5N — KatieFloyd.me
- Backing up and Drobo — KatieFloyd.me
- CrashPlan Backup Software
- Amazon.com: Drobo 5N
- Online Backup & Data Backup Software | Backblaze
- Apple - Mac - AirPort Time Capsule
- Your Own Unlimited Private Cloud. No Monthly Fees. | Transporter
iThoughtsHD brings mind mapping to the iPad
MindNode makes mind mapping easy.
- Literature and Latte - Scrivener Writing Software
Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents.
Simple and efficient text editing for Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- Ulysses III
Ulysses III is a brand-new writers’ environment built around a revolutionary text engine. It combines the very best concepts of minimal markup with the power, beauty and simplicity of OS X.
- Apple - Pages for Mac
- Microsoft Office for Mac | Office For Mac
- iPad at Work — MacSparky
- Apple - iPad Air
- Apple - iPad mini with Retina display
- Mac Power Users 156: Editorial with Federico Viticci
David and Katie are joined by Federico Viticci of Macstories.net to talk about writing on the iPad and the newest text editor with built in automation functions, Editorial.
- MPU: 093 Education Workflows with Fraser Speirs
Fraser Speirs joins Katie and David to talk about his experiences setting up a one-to-one iPad program at this school, Apple technology in eduction and his own personal workflows.
- Mac Power Users 163: Fraser Speirs Returns
Fraser Speirs returns to MPU to discuss the state of iPads and technology including an update on his school’s one-to-one program, how he uses his iPad and thoughts on the newly released iPad Air and retina iPad mini.
- Paperless — MacSparky
- MPU 085: Paperless
David and Katie talk about David’s Paperless book and the best tools and software to go paperless with your Mac and iOS devices.
- Technical Difficulties - Home
Like a normal tech podcast, but broken.
- Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Scanners
- Noodlesoft | Hazel
Hazel watches whatever folders you tell it to, automatically organizing your files according to the rules you create.
- Optical character recognition - Wikipedia
- Mac Power Users 118: 2013 Resolutions
David and Katie talk about some great geek resolutions including a tech security audit, using an electronic diary, geek estate planning, locking down social networks, offsite backup, and creating something amazing with an iLife app. David also gets to use the word Neuroplasticity and explain why that makes him happy.
- The New 1Password Emergency Kit — Productivityist